You Never Forget Your First

Let’s do things a little different this week. Let’s talk about firsts.
They say you never forget your first. First bike, first kiss, first car, first….other things.
My first bike was a two wheeler. It was a little tall for me. I remember I had to climb onto our front garden landscape beams to successfully mount it. I received my first and only, thank the Lord, concussion while riding that bike, which led to my very first bike helmet.
My first kiss (sadly) was not with my husband. Still, I fondly remember both it and the passionate young man who administered it. I hope his ending has been as happy as mine.
My first car was a little blue Honda hatchback. It used to stop running every time it rained, leaving me stranded in some….hmmm…memorable places. One of which would not have been quite so memorable if I had remembered to pull the emergency brake. Oops.
I remember the first time I tried on my wedding dress and knew it was right. I remember being terrified and excited signing papers for our first home, and I remember holding our first baby for the first time and feeling my heart physically expand. Each first opened my world a little bit more.
Last month, I experienced another important first. My first piece was published. Once again the world opened for me.
Two months ago, I had come home with a heavy heart. One of my boys was having some issues at school. I felt powerless. I had tried to intervene with the teacher, but it only seemed to make it worse. I didn’t know what to do. I only knew that I wanted to wrap my arms around him and somehow take all the slings and arrows into myself instead. So, I began to write through the emotion, listing all the things I couldn’t do for my sons. In the process, I realized everything I could do. I cannot fix or protect my children from every situation, but I am far from powerless. A mother’s love accomplishes more than she knows.
I read it to my husband who encouraged me to share it. I submitted. They published.
I poured out my heart on paper, and had the incredible privilege of watching those words touch others.
Thank you.
The piece Sweet Child,This World May Not Be Kind-But I’m Always Here For You will finish its run on the fabulous Her View From Home blog tomorrow. God willing, it will not be the last.
Until next week. Stay lovely, my friends.

Comments

Popular Posts

"Tackle-It" Tuesday - Compare-It-Itis

Introducing A Princess